Monday 1 December 2014

Great shows, terrible shows, that time of the year when everything comes out

I haven't updated this blog for a while now; it's ironic that even though I quit the day job I actually have less time than I used to. It's probably because I care more, pretty sure that's what it is. I'm working harder than I ever have done, just to prove that this can be done.

I've been working on some new material recently; the show which I thought I'd be taking to Edinburgh next year, Layby, just doesn't work. It's a shame; tried it out at a new material night and although there were some absolutely cracking moments in it, I can just tell this a show I wouldn't want to be doing for more than a couple months. And that's thing - the next solo show has to be a show that lasts all of next year, it has to be a show that's flexible for both comedy clubs and theatres, a show I can tweak without ruining it's chore elements.

Getting Lost in My Hometown became that for me. True, so I had some bumpy rides with it - the huge charity event in Godmanchester, one or two of the Edinburgh performances, but on the whole it's been a show that has been so good to me - from the very early lounge shows right up until last night, the final performance. My patience has been tested recently, though. In Castle Acre they put me in the main bar, not a function room, in their bid to attract more of an audience. A pub! Should never of worked, but really, really did. But then in Colchester I found myself in the same situation and they hated it. I'm not being arrogant here; I'm used to my shows being liked. True, so they never leave people crying with laughter and with them unable to breath due to sheer joy, but they're gentle enough to either be enjoyed or politely ignored. In Colchester they hated me though. I hated them too. It was a tough evening. Paul Richards a year ago would have crumbled with that one. Paul Richards in 2014 can happily chat in the corner of a pub or an hour and get paid for it. The next couple of shows, Banbury and the final one in Maldon were both spectacularly good, as was the BBC Radio Essex performance, so I'm happy enough, In short; 59 performances - Liverpool, Ludlow, Colchester, 1 of the Edinburgh shows and Lewisham didn't like it, but I did well with it everywhere else. I'd be more than happy with that sort of return for next year's show, whatever that may be.

As a drummer I've been busy recording with Fred's House for the second album, which is already shaping up really nicely. Also, the Dowsing gig at the Cambridge Corn Exchange is creeping up and I have some drum stuff with a few other acts lined up for next year.

As a person I'm promoting everything at the moment because, in case it escaped you, it's basically Christmas now. I have a new book out, a film, 2 shows and the band have a festive single. I don't know if it's possible to promote everything in one go and keep the attention of potential audiences, but it looks like I have no choice in the matter and will have to give it a go. Either way, Christmas is awesome and we're nearly there, guys, nearly there.

No comments: