Tuesday 16 December 2014

The Christmas show, the Dowsing show

Christmas really shouldn't be this stressful, but I guess a lot of people are saying that for different reasons at this time of the year.

It's been an exciting couple of weeks; being professional is a bit of a rollercoaster to say the least. Before, if things don't work out, you can say "ah, well it's just a hobby" but now when it all goes wrong it's your LIFE. I've never had a show cancelled before as a comedy performer and I had 2 cancelled in the same week recently. Both due to poor ticket sales; both very much out of town performances so I (obviously) had no following there. It's a proper kick in the gut, it's impossible to not take it personally even though you know you've done everything you can to get people in. And, I know I've said this before, but it shouldn't be about audience numbers, it needs to go back to being about the art; if that's okay, everything is okay.

Audience numbers weren't great for the Cambridge performances, but I was doing 4 nights, and those who were there (I've made a list of you all, just in case I ever earn enough to reward you or something) seemed to really enjoy it. I enjoyed myself a lot, it's such an odd show - the idea being that I don't know what I'm doing, although of course it's all very, very scripted and I'm in 100% control of the situation despite what the audience may think. It's a fun concept, elements of which will end up in next year's Edinburgh show.

We had the Dowsing Sound Collective Christmas show on Sunday night and it was, without question, my favourite gig ever. Maybe it's because I was expecting it all to fall apart, such is the complexity of the project. Maybe it was because it was just bloody brilliant in every way possible; the arrangements, the voices, the musicianship, the camaraderie...it's just one big giant ball of epic musical bliss. The audience noticed that too, clearly, hence their conga during the show. It was just a raucous, unpredictable party that everyone bought into. When we get it right, like we did on Sunday, it's just a thrill, a thrill that no other project can possibly ever give you. I'm continually flattered to be their drummer, it's a real privilege.

The comedown is hard to take, we played a stripped-down set tonight in Ely which was nice, and for now I guess people can turn their attentions to Christmas. I've still got a panto to get through first, that opens tomorrow (well, technically today), the signs are this will be a good one, but who can really tell?

No comments: